For the first time the issue of opening a Museum in the city of Rostov-on-Don was raised in 1862 by mayor – M. A. Boikov, so that he was "a repository of samples of national wealth of the region, monuments of its glorious past and witness its current cultural growth."
But its history of the Rostov regional Museum of local history leads since May 1, 1910, when the efforts of the founders of the Rostov Society of history, antiquities and nature M. B. Krasnyansky, A. M. Ilyin, "The tobacco king" and philanthropist V. I. Asmolov in a specially constructed building in Duma travel, 5 the Museum received its first visitors, before which stood, among other things, personal things of the famous writer D. L. Mordovtseva, silver cups of a military commander A.V. Suvorov, the cocked hat and sword, A. M. Baykov.
Having survived the troubles of the revolution and civil war, 1920. the Museum resumed its activities as of the don Soviet regional Museum of art and antiquities, in connection with which funds were allocated for the purchase of paintings, sculptures, Antiques. But special attention was paid to collecting materials about the revolutionary events of 1917 on the don.
In connection with the formation in 1926 of the North Caucasus region, it was decided to reorganize the don Museum and to create the North Caucasian mountain peoples Museum. One were transferred to the newly created Museum.
When in 1934. was formed the Azov – black sea region, the Museum of mountain peoples has lost its relevance, its collection and, partially, the don Museum were taken to Stavropol. On the basis of the remaining it was decided to create the Museum of the city of Rostov-on-don.
In 1937, a new task: in connection with the formation of the Rostov region in the building on Pushkin str., 204 to create a Regional Museum. On November 7, 1937, visitors could get acquainted in the Department of nature with geological and paleontological collections, materials about the development of agriculture; in the Department of history with the results of archaeological excavations on the don; to visit the exhibition "Rostov-on-don in the past and present" (with demonstration of products of the Rostov enterprises), "Religion is the enemy of the people".
The richness of the art Department, which was presented paintings by Russian and foreign artists of the XVII – XIX centuries and the collection of ancient porcelain, is the fact that in 1937 on its base was opened an independent art gallery.
When the Great Patriotic war, the Museum has placed the station of blood transfusion, the exhibits moved to the basement. Within 2 occupation of the city the building was destroyed, the collections were looted. In the list of lost includes thousands of monuments of history and culture of the don.
The greater the feat of colleagues, who immediately after the city was liberated in February 1943 began to find the remnants of the collections and to collect new in "hot pursuit" of recent events, went in the expedition with participation of scientists – archaeologists, biologists, ethnographers. Activity was hindered by the lack of own premises (in1946 – gg. the Museum was located in Taganrog).
In 1951, the Museum was finally dedicated the building in Rostov on Engels str., 87 (B. Garden, 79), where, after major repair and reconstruction 7 noyabrya was inaugurated a new exhibition. In the courtyard of the Museum, and before the war, "settled" surviving the Polovtsian stone images and the anchor from the ship of Peter's flotilla. For more than 50 years in this building, the Museum takes good friends, every year increases its funds due to the iconic monuments of the Donskoy's history, glad interesting exhibitions, participates in international projects, represents collections in France, Scotland, Japan, Germany.
The Museum is known for its socially significant project "Museum and politics", "The Forgotten regiment", "don – our General house", "Peace for the peoples of the Caucasus through culture", "Holy Russia, keep the Orthodox faith", which forms the historical worldview of the electorate, struggling with the falsification of military history, introduces the culture of the peoples of the don, promotes Christian values.
Since 2001, the Museum became a member of the Union of museums of Russia, the participant of the festival "Intermuseum".
The Museum's staff is a team of professionals dedicated to their work, 16 of which have won industry awards.
Tue – Sun: 11.00 – 18.00
Dear friends, pay your attention, to the fact that the time and days of work of "Rostov regional Museum of study of local lore" can change, so before visiting it we recommend you to call +7 (863) 265 – 55 – 72.